The Ronald E. McNair Program is pleased to announce that the deadline for the 2010-2011 academic year competition has been extended to 5pm on May 14th.
The link to the pdf application is available here: http://depts.washington.edu/uwmcnair/McNair2010.pdf.
The Ronald E. McNair Program prepares undergraduates for doctoral study through involvement in research and scholarly activities. The purpose of the McNair Program is to assist in the academic and professional development of undergraduates whose goals are to teach and research at the college level. In order to help students achieve those goals, the program sponsors and supports undergraduate experiences that lay the foundation for a successful graduate school experience. By fostering mentoring relationships, promoting undergraduate research, assisting with GRE preparation, and encouraging students to attend and present at conferences, we aim to produce highly competitive graduate school applicants who have the skills and experiences necessary to succeed in their programs.
In order to apply for the McNair Program, you must meet the following eligibility criteria, set by the Department of Education. Because this is a federally funded program, these are strict requirements.
To be eligible, you:
* must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
* must be a low-income student who is also a first-generation college student (for detailed descriptions, click on the links); or
must be a member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education (African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic/Latino, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander)
* must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate in a degree program at the UW
* must have completed 36 credits by the time of initial entry into the program
* must have at least one year remaining before graduation (i.e., if you are graduating within the year, you are not eligible for the program)
* must have a minimum cumulative GPA of: 2.8 (sophomores), 3.0 (juniors), 3.2 (seniors)
* must have STRONG desire to attain a Ph.D.